Thursday, July 17, 2008

Don't Just Stand There, Do Something!

We must engage in conversations around mission at least 20 times a week. Much of the talk is about how tough it is to motivate "them" to greater faithfulness, missions with greater impact, and more consistent compassion.

Some complain that there is not enough (fill in the blanks) coming from (the area office, the regional office, the general office, etc.) to help us move from where we are to where we think God want's us to be.

Most certainly, I am the worst offender. It is acceptable, even fashionable, to indulge in scapegoating as a way to cover up my own inadequacies or under-performance.

At some point, however, I have to take responsibility for the outcomes I live with.

Note that I did not say that a disappointing outcome is my fault. It is, however, my responsibility. It will change for better or for worse to some degree based upon my own engagement with it.

If I don't like the way things are shaping up in the church or if I yearn for something more, I have a responsibility to engage proactively.

If I find that there are too few companions with whom to make those changes, I have a responsibility to find and to invite more committed colleagues.

If there are not enough resources, I am responsible enough to change that rther than to let lack determine outcome.

This week your area staff and executive officers took a hard look with Dick Hamm at what we are doing to support pastors and other congregational leaders.

We cannot take much credit, nor can we completely accept blame for the way things are, but we can choose to be responsible, and we have.

Staff and officers have taken on new homework assignments and we have agreed to take some risks to improve the quality of our service to you.

No one told us we had to do that. It is simply a part of what it means to be responsible.

If you'd like to help your staff or team to deepen its sense of responsibility, join us for the Quickening Preview on Sunday evening, August 31. Click here
to learn more and to register on-line.

No comments: